Water confident with arms bands or achieved level 1
DEPTH OF WATER
0.7m – 0.9m Learner pool
To build confidence and swimming skills to remove one or both arms bands.
SYLLABUS OF LEARNING
- Health and Hygiene/water safety
- Pool hazards, spot the dangers, recognition of emergency (alarms)
- Water confidence
- Face in the water, blowing bubbles
- Jumping in the pool without armbands
- Kicking on front and back with floating aid, without armbands
- Breathe control with floating aid with leg kick practices.
- Aquatic games without arm bands
- Front crawl – introduction of body position, leg practices and arm practices without armbands.
- Back crawl – introduction of body position, leg practices and arm practices without the use of swimming aids.
- Introduction to deeper water swimming (1.5 meters) with the use of 1 or no armbands.
LEVEL 2 COMPETENCY AWARD BASED UPON ABILITY OF PUPIL TO:
- Push and glide to wall without the use of armbands.
- Demonstrate regaining of standing position on front and back without armbands.
- Demonstrate front crawl leg action with arms extended and face in the water for 5 meters.
- Demonstrate full front crawl action arms and legs for 5 meters unaided.
- Demonstrate full back crawl action arms and legs for 5 meters unaided.